[Rubygems-developers] Rich: How's the refactoring going?

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Sun Mar 28 14:32:58 EST 2004

Hi Rich,

You mentioned you were going to clean some things up in the RubyGems
code base.  What sort of scope did you have in mind?  There's
something I'd like to work on that would mean moving outside my 'gem'
comfort zone, and the first thing I would do is try to spruik up and
rationalise the code wherever I can.

BTW the thing I had in mind was local caching of remote specification
lists (which are called Gem::Cache, which I don't understand).  This
would speed up remote listing and searching a great deal, and would
become especially important as the number of remote gems and the
number of users grow.

It would require some thought about synchronising the remote and local
versions.

Does anyone have any comments on that?

Cheers,
Gavin