[Rubygems-developers] [patch] use open-uri in remote_installer.rb

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Sun Mar 28 02:00:18 EST 2004

On Sunday, March 28, 2004, 12:33:36 AM, Chad wrote:

>> OK, that's good.  I noticed you changed bin/gem as well (the
>> --http-proxy option).
>> Should this option disappear, and just rely on a $HTTP_PROXY or
>> $http_proxy environment variable?
>> Proxies are so annoying...

> As someone who spends  a lot of time behind proxies, I would rather
> have the option to turn proxy support on and off from the command line.
>   When I'm testing something, I might switch proxy support off for one
> run of a program.  Having to do this with an environment variable is
> particularly annoying. :)

You can (probably).  In a general sense:

  $ VARIABLE=value command

Runs the command with a modified environment without affecting the
environment around it.  I imagine all unix shells support that; not
sure about Windows.

But following your argument, shouldn't the default be for
environmental proxy settings to be honoured?  If you want to turn it
off for one run, fair enough, but that's not the common case.

# I thought the HTTP class silently honoured that environment
# variable.

What I meant by proxies being annoying is that I wish they just
presented you with a transparent internet connection.  Having to muck
around with proxy settings when I move from one work environment to
another (as I do each week) drives me mad.  Let alone the fact that
there's no system wide setting that all programs respect.  Sigh...