[Rubygems-developers] RubyGem GUI Browser

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Sat Mar 27 18:50:07 EST 2004

On Saturday, March 27, 2004, 3:05:41 AM, Chad wrote:

>> You brainstorming help would be munch appreciated.

> I'm imagining something similar to an RSS news aggregator as an
> interface.  [...]

Hmmm, why not *have* an RSS feed for new gems?  That would be a handy
way for people to find out about them, I think.

Also, just a thought.  In the current 'gem' application, there's a
class RubyGemsFacade, which implements all the operations.

Should this be moved into the library part of the code (Gem::Facade or
a better name if you can think of it) so that other RubyGems
frontends can make use of it?

Some generalisation might be necessary; e.g. Curt's frontend wouldn't
want the facade methods writing to STDOUT.  Two possible
generalisations are: provide an IO object to write to, or provide a
callback mechanism, e.g.

  f = Gem::Facade.new(options)

  s.install(gem_name) do |resp|
    if resp.local_failed
      # Print message to user, on console or GUI.
    elsif resp.remote_failed
      # Likewise
    end
  end

That's the utter beauty of Ruby: high-level code, but tinkerable
enough to be powerful.

Anyway, that's a thought.  Let's see how your code develops, Curt.  In
the end, though, we should have one good implementation of all the
operations, not two incomplete ones.

Cheers,
Gavin