[Rubygems-developers] RubyGem GUI Browser

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Fri Mar 26 11:05:41 EST 2004

On Mar 24, 2004, at 8:49 AM, Curt Hibbs wrote:

> In about a week or so I'm going to be able to start on some RubyGems
> related
> work, and I think the first thing I want to do is to create a GUI
> front-end
> for RubyGems.
>
> Part of my motivation, besides just wanting such a thing, is that I
> want to
> include it in the Ruby Installer for Windows (later, some sort of
> integrated
> FreeRIDE support might make sense, also).
>
> I plan to use wxRuby, so the result will run on all platforms.
>
> I want to solicit your thoughts and ideas. What features should it
> have, how
> should it be presented, etc. Here my off-the-top-of-my-head list of
> features:
>
> Primary Features:
> - browse list of installed gems
> - browse default remote repository
> - browse a specified remote repository
> - initiate gem installation & removal
>
> Browse-List Display Options:
> - filter displayed list (using regex against name or categories)
> - group displayed list by category
>
> Other Features:
> - display a gem's meta-data
> - browse a gem's rdoc
>
> You brainstorming help would be munch appreciated.

I'm imagining something similar to an RSS news aggregator as an
interface.  I would like to be able to set "favorites" or gems I want
to track, and have the tool actually keep track of new versions of
those gems (or just new things in general).  So, it would be kind of an
emailish interface.  It may even be useful to be able to setup your own
personal "folders" or other means with which to keep track of available
gems.

This will be cool.

Chad