[Rubygems-developers] Weired problem with dependency management

George Marrows george.marrows at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 24 20:03:10 EST 2004

Hi --

>I quote the commands and output verbatim below, but basically, I
>installed copland to try out the "automatically installing log4r"
>feature.  According to the output, log4r and copland were installed.
>It appears, however, that copland was not actually installed, though
>log4r was!

FWIW, I can't reproduce this with latest cvs.

-- George

[georgem at triptych rubygems]$ ruby -Ilib bin/gem -L -l

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

dbdbd-0.2.2
dbdbd (David Black's Database Definer) -- for ad hoc flat-file
database formats

<snip/>

sources-0.0.1
This package provides download sources for remote gem installation

statistics-2001.2.28
module Math::Statistics provides common statistical functions

[georgem at triptych rubygems]$ ruby -Ilib bin/gem -i copland-0.2
Using local!
Attempting local installation of 'copland-0.2'
-> Local installation can't proceed: Unknown gem file 'copland-0.2'
Attempting remote installation of 'copland-0.2'
Successfully installed log4r version 1.0.5
Successfully installed copland version 0.2.0

[georgem at triptych rubygems]$ ruby -Ilib bin/gem -L -l

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

copland-0.2.0
Copland is an Inversion of Control (IoC) container for Ruby

dbdbd-0.2.2
dbdbd (David Black's Database Definer) -- for ad hoc flat-file
database formats

<snip/>

log4r-1.0.5
Log4r is a comprehensive and flexible logging library for Ruby.