[Rubygems-developers] RubyGem GUI Browser

Curt Hibbs curt at curthibbs.us
Wed Mar 24 07:49:21 EST 2004

In about a week or so I'm going to be able to start on some RubyGems related
work, and I think the first thing I want to do is to create a GUI front-end
for RubyGems.

Part of my motivation, besides just wanting such a thing, is that I want to
include it in the Ruby Installer for Windows (later, some sort of integrated
FreeRIDE support might make sense, also).

I plan to use wxRuby, so the result will run on all platforms.

I want to solicit your thoughts and ideas. What features should it have, how
should it be presented, etc. Here my off-the-top-of-my-head list of
features:

Primary Features:
- browse list of installed gems
- browse default remote repository
- browse a specified remote repository
- initiate gem installation & removal

Browse-List Display Options:
- filter displayed list (using regex against name or categories)
- group displayed list by category

Other Features:
- display a gem's meta-data
- browse a gem's rdoc

You brainstorming help would be munch appreciated.

Curt

---