[Rubygems-developers] Suggestion: RAA-like meta-data

Jamis Buck jgb3 at email.byu.edu
Sun Mar 21 09:05:04 EST 2004

Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> What about "database" vs "db"?  I think some standardisation is
> beneficial, even if it's ad hoc.  I certainly don't advocate a
> bureaucracy; just a bit of consistency injected by the gem server
> organiser.

That's precisely what I was referring to.  An algorithm to recongnize
word stems can only do so much--at some point, people are going to use
synonyms and abbreviations to describe the same thing.  For instance, if
I say 'regexp' to describe my new regexp engine, and someone else says
"regular expression", then someone who does a search for "regular
expressions" will miss the one with the 'regexp' keyword.

I agree with Gavin, though -- I don't want a bereaucracy.  Even a simple
list of recommendations that gem developers could follow ("no
abbreviations", for example) would be fine.

Jamis Buck
jgb3 at email.byu.edu

ruby -h | ruby -e
'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a <<
r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'