[Rubygems-developers] Quick Introduction to RubyGems

Simon Strandgaard neoneye at adslhome.dk
Sun Mar 21 12:17:11 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 00:46, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> Please check out
>   http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Quick_Introduction
> and give me some feedback in terms of correctness, clarity, etc.  I'd
> like this to be used to give people a gentle and interesting
> introduction so they understand the scope of RubyGems quickly.  Also,
> they will understand how solid it is, despite its first-release
> status.

It would be nice to see an overview of features which isn't covered in
this document (sidebyside with those which is covered).

The 'important features' section seems superflouish.

The 'installing rubygems' section doesn't mention that having the right
permissions is needed.

Perhaps describe what happens if require_gem fails to find the module,
and then grab the needed package?  Something like the following

server> ruby a.rb
`require_gem':  (LoadError)
Could not find RubyGem progressbar
        from a.rb:2
server> gem --remote-install progressbar
/home/neoneye/stow/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:102: warning: instance variable @has_rdoc not initialized
Successfully installed progressbar version 0.0.3
server> ruby a.rb
progr: 100% |oooooooooooooooo      | ETA:  00:00:03

BTW: does rubygems aims to be greaterthan/equal/lessthan cpan?
does they compare?

Simon Strandgaard