[Rubygems-developers] Suggestion: RAA-like meta-data

Jamis Buck jgb3 at email.byu.edu
Sat Mar 20 15:31:26 EST 2004

Chad Fowler wrote:
> Putting that aside, if we were to do something like this, I would vote
> against hierarchical categories in favor of keywords.  I feel like
> trying to force category standards on developers would be too limiting.
>  Keywords (with suggested close matches) could help avoid "losing"
> packages down unintuitive branches of the hierarchy.

I'm in favor of the keywords approach.  Categories always feel clunky,
since it's not always black-and-white as to where a package belongs.
However, allowing developers to choose their own keywords could be
detrimental, too.  That could be allowed, but there should be a set of
"standard" keywords, too, so that users have some idea of what to look for.

The keywords approach is nice, too, since it would allow you to
differentiate (for example) between C-modules and pure-Ruby frameworks
(assuming the correct keywords were used).

Jamis Buck
jgb3 at email.byu.edu

ruby -h | ruby -e
'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a <<
r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'