[Rubygems-developers] Suggestion: RAA-like meta-data

Leon Torres leon at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Mar 20 12:22:42 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:39:09PM -0500, Chad Fowler wrote:
> I might actually be more easily convinced that keywords belong in a gem
> than a hierarchical category.
> What do you all think?
> Chad

Organizing hierarchical data should be the responsibility of interfaces to
the gem system. As an example, aptitude and dselect provide interfaces
to the debian package system. If the gem system itself regulates the
hierarchial structure, the interfaces lose flexibility.

For instance, say I decide to create a source repository for Ruby projects
that have only to do with programming. I might want to create a different
categorization scheme with a finer granularity than offered by RAA, such
as putting all the GTK stuff in one place, windows based stuff in another,
and so on.

- Leon