[Rubygems-developers] Suggestion: --remote-install-all <url>

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Sat Mar 20 08:01:22 EST 2004

On Mar 20, 2004, at 3:39 AM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While I think of it, a gem command to install all gems from a specific
> remote server would be terrific, because you can then set up one
> machine in the office as a server, and easily make lots of other
> machines just like it (in a Ruby package sense).

I've been thinking the same but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Specifically, I would like to be able to install only gems I don't
already have (including versions).  I plan to put up
http://gems.rubygarden.org at some point and I want to use
http://gems.rubyforge.org as a master repository with which I
synchronize.  This functionality would be useful here too.

> I just ran gem_server for the first time, and I'm very impressed!

Cool.  Needs a lot of work, but the basics are there.  We really need
to rip out its guts and share them with gem_server.cgi.  The idea is
that it should be easy to share your gem cache with your friends.  So,
for example, if we're at RubyConf and two pepole are talking about a
certain library, the one who has it can say, "just install it off of my
box....gem_server is started."

Chad