[Rubygems-developers] Suggestion: RAA-like meta-data

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Sat Mar 20 21:39:05 EST 2004

As gems become more common, we will need ways to categorise them.  A
typical user scenario would be:

1. "Hmmm... I wonder what categories there are."

     gem --list-categories

2. "Ah!  There's a category for accessing databases; that's what I

     gem --remote-list --category database

3. "Cool, I'll install package xyz"

     # We know this bit.

Not urgent, but worth thinking about.  If it's easy to implement, it's
better to get gem-creators in the habit of categorising their stuff
sooner rather than later.

1. Categories should be cenrally managed, ensuring consistency.

2. Packages can have multiple categories.

3. Categories can be hierachical, like the RAA, but searching for one
   should be liberal (e.g. fuzzy string matching).