[Rubygems-developers] Lafcadio gem is broken

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Fri Mar 19 17:32:13 EST 2004

On Friday, March 19, 2004, at 03:10 PM, Jamis Buck wrote:

> Perhaps this should go to the developers of Lafcadio, but I wasn't
> sure. The Lafcadio gem is broken (at least for me).  It has as its
> require_path 'lafcadio', when it should be "." (or even better, there
> should be another directory in there that contains 'lafcadio', like
> 'lib', and then 'lib' should be in the require_path).
>
> Is this analysis correct, or am I missing something?  And should this
> be brought to the attention of the Lafcadio developers, or can someone
> on this list do something about it?

(CC'd Francis)
Hi Jamis.  I just looked at Francis's gem.  I don't think his
require_path is broken.  He just hasn't included an autorequire (which
is bound to be a sane thing to do in some cases).  So, after you
require_gem 'lafcadio', you have to require whichever lafcadio files
you want.

However, what *is* broken is that he is doing:

require 'lafcadio/blah'

  in his own files, which won't work with the way he has it laid out.
So, you're right.  He needs a "lib" directory or he needs to set
auto_require to "." (with "lib" being preferable).

Francis, does that make sense?  (thanks for the Gem!)

Chad