[Rubygems-developers] Directory structure suggestion

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Thu Mar 18 09:22:41 EST 2004

On Mar 18, 2004, at 6:43 AM, Chad Fowler wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2004, at 6:27 AM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It bothers me that the gems directory structure is messy.  Actual gem
>> directories are at the same level as other, more general directories.
>>
>> Here is the current contents of mine:
>>
>>   cache/
>>   doc/
>>   rake-0.3.1
>>   sources-0.0.1
>>   specifications/
>>   test-1.2.3
>>
>> It *should* be:
>>
>>   README.txt
>>   cache/
>>   doc/
>>   gems/
>>   specifications/

I like this path change better.  It would also have the least impact on
the code (although that is less important than getting this right :-)

>> It's probably difficult to change it now, but if it were my project,
>> I'd bite the bullet and do it.

Nah, refactor often...right!

>> An alternative is:
>>
>>   META/cache/
>>   META/doc/
>>   META/specifications/
>>   README.txt
>>   rake-0.3.1
>>   sources-0.0.1
>>

> I don't think it would be too hard to do this, and since we're in
> alpha mode, I don't think it's too big of an inconvenience for users.
> Rather than modify the gem command to move things around, I would
> suggest we include a piece of code in install.rb that migrates
> everything during installation.

I agree with this, I think the install.rb should migrate the
gem-version directories into a ./gems dir.

+1 for me too...gavin...could you put in a rubyforge enhancement
request on this to track it?

- rich