[Rubygems-developers] Executable Ruby Scripts under a gem dir...

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Thu Mar 18 09:14:37 EST 2004

On Mar 18, 2004, at 9:08 AM, Richard Kilmer wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2004, at 7:52 AM, Chad Fowler wrote:
>
>>> Precisely.  We could use ':' instead of '/' perhaps, to make it look
>>> less literal and more logical.  For example:
>>>
>>>   gem --run rubygems:gem_server
>>
>> I almost suggested the same thing.  Opinions anyone else?
>
> So, this would suggest that the gem (rubygems) would have an
> executable ruby script (gem_server) installed in it.  Where should we
> look for these executable scripts?
>
> gem-version/lib/... (lib files for library)
> gem-version/bin/... (executable script files)
>                 gem_server.rb -OR- gem_server
>
> Should we have a metadata key that specifies the executable dir? (like
> bin above) or just use bin every time?

Responding to myself, we could have a default executable in a gem, so:

gem --run blah

Would execute a default executable script (if specified)

potential yaml could be:

   s.require_path = 'lib'
   s.autorequire = 'jabber4r/jabber4r'

which we have now...and add:

   s.bin_path = 'bin'
   s.execute = 'myapp' # (which looks for gem-version/bin/myapp -OR-
gem-version/bin/myapp.rb)

thus, myapp would be the default and the gem:myapp2 would override that
default executable.

thoughts?

-rich