[Rubygems-developers] Executable Ruby Scripts under a gem dir...

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Thu Mar 18 09:08:18 EST 2004

On Mar 18, 2004, at 7:52 AM, Chad Fowler wrote:

>> Precisely.  We could use ':' instead of '/' perhaps, to make it look
>> less literal and more logical.  For example:
>>
>>   gem --run rubygems:gem_server
>
> I almost suggested the same thing.  Opinions anyone else?

So, this would suggest that the gem (rubygems) would have an executable
ruby script (gem_server) installed in it.  Where should we look for
these executable scripts?

gem-version/lib/... (lib files for library)
gem-version/bin/... (executable script files)
                 gem_server.rb -OR- gem_server

Should we have a metadata key that specifies the executable dir? (like
bin above) or just use bin every time?

- rich