[Rubygems-developers] Thoughts on handling bin and man files

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Fri Mar 19 00:52:57 EST 2004

On Thursday, March 18, 2004, 11:52:35 PM, Chad wrote:

>> The main thing is that there can be a system-installed Ruby, and 100
>> users on the system who all want to install gems but can't unless they
>> do it locally.  If they set $GEM_PATH, won't the centrally-installed
>> gems be inaccessible to them?
>>

> Sorry, I meant $RUBY_GEMS.  This is a $PATH-like delimited list of
> directories that works like you would expect a search path to work.
> Whatever is first in the $RUBY_GEMS environment variable will be where
> new things are installed.  But, if you have system-wide gems, those
> would be picked up when they were not found in your personal
> directories.

Yeah, that's pretty good, I suppose.  It's still something that has to
be done on lots of computers, but at least *installing* gems and
*finding* them are related.

>>> Yes.  Though, I'd like to see us make some big ones.
>>
>> The availability of several gems for remote installation and the fact
>> that it just works is a big step, IMO.  We need to motivate people to
>> contribute more gems.  I haven't bothered, so I'm a good target.  To
>> be honest, I'm not really sure how (to contribute; I've done build
>> before).
>>

> Do you mean you don't know how to motivate people to contribute more
> gems?

I don't know how to contribute gems to the central repository.

>>> Mauricio Fernandez ("batsman" on irc) has a tool called RDocSite which
>>> may also be related.
>>
>> Thanks for the tips.  I've certainly looked at Rublog, and would use
>> it but I demand blog/wiki integration.  I hadn't heard of RDocSite,
>> but it sounds good.
>>

> Austin and I did some Rublog/Ruwiki integration with eventual plans to
> create a bundled, integrated package.  Might still be worth checking
> out.

Excellent.  Anywhere to access the code?   I'm trialling snipsnap.org
at the moment.  It's excellent, except that it seems all blogs are
combined; you can't see Jim's blog and Tony's blog and Karen's blog
separately.  I hope I'm wrong.

Gavin