[Rubygems-developers] Directory structure suggestion

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Thu Mar 18 06:43:29 EST 2004

On Mar 18, 2004, at 6:27 AM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It bothers me that the gems directory structure is messy.  Actual gem
> directories are at the same level as other, more general directories.
>
> Here is the current contents of mine:
>
>   cache/
>   doc/
>   rake-0.3.1
>   sources-0.0.1
>   specifications/
>   test-1.2.3
>
> It *should* be:
>
>   README.txt
>   cache/
>   doc/
>   gems/
>   specifications/
>
> It's probably difficult to change it now, but if it were my project,
> I'd bite the bullet and do it.
>
> An alternative is:
>
>   META/cache/
>   META/doc/
>   META/specifications/
>   README.txt
>   rake-0.3.1
>   sources-0.0.1

I don't think it would be too hard to do this, and since we're in alpha
mode, I don't think it's too big of an inconvenience for users.  Rather
than modify the gem command to move things around, I would suggest we
include a piece of code in install.rb that migrates everything during
installation.

So, I guess this gets a +1 from me for consistency (though, I have to
admit to not being very detail-oriented, so it doesn't bother me much).
;)

Anyone else have an opinion before it's changed?

Chad