[Rubygems-developers] where to stash non-library files

Leon Torres leon at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 17 09:44:40 EST 2004

Hi folks,

At the request of one of the Log4r contributors (Hi Jamis!), we'll be
distributing log4r as a gem. For the bare bones install (just the library),
rubygems does a fine job. However, log4r has a lot of HTML documentation
and a directory full of example scripts. Where do these go in the rubygem
context?  I see that Rdoc has its own special home, but what of the
other lonely non-rdoc files? It seems silly to clog the lib directory with
all the miscellaneous stuff. The HTML can be left out, but the example
scripts ought to go somewhere. There are also things like the unit tests
included for troubleshooting purposes, the readme files, etc.

What I'm really getting at is this: The presence of --gen-rdoc suggests
that rubygems has something in mind for package docs and miscellaneous files
such as examples, tests, and so on. Without the miscellaneous files, a gem
can be rather pointless. Might as well get the full tarball.

Cheers,
Leon Torres