[Rubygems-developers] Re: Ruby Gems feedback

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Tue Mar 16 21:43:52 EST 2004

On Mar 16, 2004, at 5:21 PM, riso302 at charter.net wrote:

> Hello chad,

Hi Scott.  I've made some changes in the rubygems CVS repository based
on this email.  Comments inlined below....

> Here are some minor issues I noticed:
>
> UserDoc.html corrections
>
> 1) In addtion to installing each gem in a directory << addtion s/b
> addition
> 1) This may not be necessary in furture versions of Ruby  << furture
> s/b future
> 2) You just 'require' the rubygems library, then 'gem_require' each
> gem you want to use. << 'gem_require' s/b 'require_gem'

Fixed, thanks.  I guess we need to use a spell checker. :)

> bin directory oddities
> Couple of extra .cmd.cmd files are turning up in the ruby\bin
> directory:
>
>         gem.cmd
>         gem.cmd.cmd << doesn't belong
>         gem_server.cmd
>         gem_server.cmd.cmd << doesn't belong

I'm not sure what's causing this yet.  Will need to try it on Windows
(which is a little inconvenient for  me at home).

> gem help
> Inconsistency in case ( gem / Gem ) in gem help:
>
> Usage: gem [options]
>     -b, --build=GEMSPEC              Build a gem file from spec
>     -i, --install=GEMFILE            Install a gem from local gem file
>     -u, --uninstall=GEMNAME          Uninstall a previously installed
> gem
>         --info=GEMNAME               Display details about an
> installed Gem
>         --dir=DIRNAME                Installation directory for the Gem
>         --gen-rdoc                   Generate RDoc documentation for
> the Gem
>         --list                       List installed Gems

Fixed.  Embarrassingly, this isn't the first time I've heard this one.

> Searching
> Nice to have an option to show all available gems. Perhaps gem
> --search * or just blank. Searching on a hyphen seems to do the trick
> as a workaround.

I've been using the same hack.  I added a separate option to list all
of them.  gem --remote-list now does the trick.

> Case-insensitive sorting of the results would be handy especially as
> the list grows. Here's the current output from 'gem --search -':
>
>         statistics-2001.2.28
>         Labyrinth-0.2.0
>         rake-0.3.1
>         rublog-0.8.0
>         ruby-doom-0.0.7
>         Ook-1.0.2
>         Linguistics-1.0.2
>         cgikit-1.1.0
>         lafcadio-0.3.4
>         RedCloth-2.0.2
>         progressbar-0.0.3
>         jabber4r-0.7.0
>         RubyJDWP-0.0.1

Done.

> Would also be great to be able to see the summary info for gems on the
> remote server such as:
>
>         RubyJDWP-0.0.1 - Ruby implementation of the Java Debug Wire
> Protocol. This version is pre-alpha..

Done.  Good one, thanks.

Chad