[Rubygems-developers] Native Windows RubyGems Installer

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Mon Mar 15 12:19:17 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Curt Hibbs wrote:

# Hi guys -- I just joined the RubyGems project!

Welcome, Curt!!

# I want to create a native windows installer for rubygems. I also want to
# embed rubygems support within the ruby system installed by the one-click
# ruby installer for windows (I recently became a developer on that project,
# as well).

That's wonderful.  Including RubyGems with the pragprog installer would
greatly add to the acceptance/mindshare level we'll need to make this a
standard part of Ruby.

What I think would be the best way to do this would be to create Gems of
all of the packages that are normally distributed with the pragprog
installer, and either include them in the download or (perhaps both?)
provide them for gem --remote-install access as part of a post-install
step.  You could possibly provide a "fat" installer with all of the gems
bundled in or a light when that allows users to select which libs they
want to install.

Rich and I were chatting this morning on AIM about native installer
integration.  It's something Matz asked for at RubyConf.  It seems like
the number one advantage (on most platforms) would be that the native
package manager could help manage external (non-Ruby dependencies).  For
example, it doesn't make sense to install the MySQL database module unless
you have the MySQL DLLs.  I know that the linux package managers deal with
this kind of dependency generally.  Does MSI?

On another note, Shashank Date is working on creating gems for all of the
win32utils stuff that he, Dan Berger, et al have been doing.  These would
make a great addition to the pragprog installer.  (I guess "pragprog
installer" isn't a good name anymore now that non-pragproggers are