[Rubygems-developers] Suggestions regarding new CLI

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Sat Jun 26 14:40:16 EDT 2004

Jim Weirich wrote:
> I've gone through most of the pages and updated command examples with
> the new syntax.
>
> Currently I'm working on a complete version of the command line options,
>  so go ahead with the spec writeup.

One more update!   I've completed the command line reference and updated
the wiki.  The command line reference was actually generated by the
gemdoc.rb & data files in the scripts directory of the CVS package.
Rather than update the page, I'm suggesting we update the gemdoc data
and upload it.  Gemdoc weaves the text data and output from the gem
command together so that the option listings are 100% correct with the
program.

Notice I've also added categories to the documentation pages.  This is
an old wiki trick to get automatic indexing.  You want to know what
pages are in the User Documentation category?  Well, just go to the
CategoryUserDocumentation page and click on the page title.  If we keep
the categories up to date, it will make it easier for folk to find what
they are looking for.

Finally, as I was doing examples, the following issues came to my notice:

* When dependent gems are installed (e.g. installing log4r when copland
is requested), the success of the dependent installs is not seen at the
console.  Just the success of the requested gem.  In the examples
(before I replaced it with new output), all gems were reported on.  Is
this something we should fix?

* Sometimes uninstall gives a Undefined Method Error:
version_requirement, but no backtrace is given.  This only happens in
certain cases, but I can get it to repeat (I think).

* Some commands take gem names as "name" and "name-1.2.3", and some
commands take only "name".  In particular, uninstall does not recognized
the versioned version.  It would be helpful if it does.  It might be
worth discussing in general when "name" vs "name-1.2.3" is appropriate.

* I don't think the .gemrc configuration file is picked up.  It is
commented out in *two* places in the code (not by me), so I'm thinking
someone did that with the intention of coming back to it.  This should
be fixed before release.

* I think I broke gem update.  It fails with a Undefined Method error:
process_install_command.

I'm throwing these out in case someone else would like to take a look at
them.  I'm taking a break for a while.  I might get back to these later
tonight.