[Rubygems-developers] Suggestions regarding new CLI

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Fri Jun 25 07:22:40 EDT 2004

Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> Jim Weirich wrote:
>>A very productive evening.  [.....]
> Wow, that's a lot of work.  Thanks Jim.
>>Oh, and "gem2" is gone.  I promoted it to be the standard "gem" script
>>now.  Let me know if anyone has problems.
> I don't doubt that the new 'gem' is nearly ready to go, but renaming it
> now means that it will be in the next release.  I thought it would be more
> sensible to have another 0.6 release with bugfixes and stuff, then release
> 0.7 with the new interface.  The new interface shouldn't be released until
> it's well documented, but that shouldn't hold back the release of
> bugfixes.

Good question.  But a lot of bugfixes weren't being transmitted to the
old gem command.  It had a lot of the code in the script and certainly
wasn't picking up any changes there.  Furthermore, the library was
changing underneath it and no one was maintaining compatibility with the
old script (I think the gem_server error from last night was a partial
manifestation of that).  Finally, why release in beta code that we
aren't contemplating releasing for real.

If documentation is the only thing holding us back, then let's address that.

If I'm wrong, then the old gem is still in CVS history, we can pull it out.