[Rubygems-developers] A case where --install-stub is insufficient

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Sun Jun 20 06:33:00 EDT 2004

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

# I'm preparing 'extensions' for a gem release, which has been on the
# backburner for ages.
#
# One problem is that the library stub installation is insufficient for
# this task.  That's because there is no autorequire file.  The
# traditional usage for this library is:
#
#   require 'extensions/string'
#   require 'extensions/class'
#   # etc.
#
#   # Or, if you want all of them:
#   require 'extensions/all'
#
# There is no suitable autorequire file.  In my own use, I generally
# just load 'extensions/all', but that's not a polite default, because
# it will pepper extra methods throughout several of Ruby's built-in
# classes.
#
# The upshot of this is that if you install 'extensions' as a gem, you
# can only use it as a gem.  "require 'extensions/string'" won't work
# because there's no 'extensions/string' in site_ruby.
#
# That doesn't bother me for my own use.  Just wondering if anyone has
# any comments.
#

What about providing a list of files we want stubs for?  I've seen a
couple of other more minor cases where this would be nice.

Chad