[Rubygems-developers] config file options was: CVS unlock...but with caveats (LONG)

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Wed Jun 16 10:55:15 EDT 2004

On 6/16/04 10:25 AM, "Gavin Sinclair" <gsinclair at soyabean.com.au> wrote:

> It does seem like the former would be better.  Are there any global
> options, as in
>   gem --some-option command
> ?  That would give impetus to the 'gem' config option.  Anyway, I'll
> have a better idea after examining the state of play.

Yeah, there is currently the --http-proxy one...which is common, and of
course the --config-file one, but it does not need to be in the config file
itself ;-)

But you still specify the -http-proxy with...

gem <command> --http-proxy
  (ie you don't specify the option before the <command>)

This was to simplify the implementation.  If you want these common options
to appear before the <command> it will take a bit of work, but it could be

How about:
# command options
install: --gen-rdoc --test
update: --gen-rdoc --test

# common options
common: --http-proxy http://www-cache:8800

# Rdoc options
rdoc: --inline-source --line-numbers

gem_home: ...
  - /usr/local/rubygems
  - /home/gavin/.rubygems

Then what I can get the code to do is:

A) set the gem paths if in the config file

B) use the rdoc config option where appropriate (install)

C) check the current command, and prepend the config line (so that the last
   one wins...if specified from the command line)

D) check the 'common' options and see if the values are in the config file
   and prepend them to the options (so that the last one wins...if specified
   from the command line).

Does that sound right?