[Rubygems-developers] library stub again

Ryan Leavengood mrcode1234 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 14:23:46 EDT 2004

--- Pierre Baillet <oct at zoy.org> wrote:
[snip]

> I was wondering if there couldn't be some way (I don't have the answer,
> that's why I'm asking, of course) to override the kernel require with
> some special rubygem require so as to make the gems work on unmodified
> application code... ?

I did this in my original RubyGems prototype a few years ago.  It is not
particularly difficult.  In fact part of my presentation at RubyConf 2001
involved running a script that uses a gem normally (which causes an error) and
then with "-r rubygems" on the Ruby command-line to show how require was
overwritten.

To the rest of the "new" RubyGems developers: why wasn't this done in your
version?

Ryan