[Rubygems-developers] generating doc

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Tue Jun 8 19:09:36 EDT 2004

On 8/6/2004, at 5:00 PM, Pierre Baillet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm probably wrong, but when trying to generate the documentation of a
> gem while installing it, I got an error :
>
> D:\code\svn\oct\ruby\rubum_standalone\ruby\rubum>gem -i rake --gen-rdoc
> Attempting local installation of 'rake'
>  -> Local installation can't proceed: Unknown gem file 'rake'
> Attempting remote installation of 'rake'
> Successfully installed rake version 0.3.2
> Installing RDoc documentation for rake-0.3.2...
> ["/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.3.2/lib"]
> File not found: /ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.3.2/lib
>

> It fails because of line 53 of doc_manager.rb that tries and uses the
> source_dirs variable to generate the documentation. Unfortunately, my
> installation path is not /ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ but rather:
> C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems . Hence the rdoc is not going to work at all...
>
> If you need any testing, I'll be pretty happy to test.

Thanks.  We've recently discovered this bug.  It actually looks like
there is  a problem with RDoc that was side-stepped when the RubyGems
docmanger code was written.  So, if we solve the problem of the drive
letter, RDoc will fail in all cases on Windows.  Rich and I were just
talking about this yesterday and it's on the bug tracker.

Thanks,
Chad