[Rubygems-developers] Design notes for RubyGems 2

Mauricio Fernández batsman.geo at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 13:30:47 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:44:02AM +1000, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> Then again, I haven't heard your point of view on how a repository
> concept should be implemented yet.  I'm looking forward to it :)
> At the moment, it's quite ridiculous that when you run 'gem -i rpa',
> gem will quite happily remote install 'rpa', even though you've
> already got the latest version installed.  That's a symptom of the
> process-based approach, I believe.  If it were easy to change this, I

Funny enough, rpa-base is relatively process-oriented but the "abridged
metadata" of all available ports is cached locally.  There's a pretty
stupid RepositoryInfo which is responsible for getting the metadata from
a number of local/remote sources; it returns Port objects which know how
to download their associated sources.  That said, I deliberately avoided
self-installable Port objects, because (in rpa-base at least) that's way
too complex for those poor little objects (due to atomic transactions &
stuff) ;)

> It's not too hard for me to imagine starting from scratch at this
> point in RubyGems' life.  Thus my enthusiasm for these ideas.  BTW
> starting from scratch doesn't mean junking the current code.... until
> it's been fully replaced.

Would RubyGems 2 remain compatible regarding:
* package format
* gem_spec "syntax"

Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

I've no idea when Linus is going to release 2.0.24, but if he takes
too long Im going to release a 2.0.24unoff and he can sound off all
he likes.
	-- Alan Cox