[Rubygems-developers] update-dist request from rubytalk

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Mon Jun 7 18:14:05 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, June 8, 2004, 2:48:15 AM, Chad wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Jim Weirich wrote:

> #
> # Chad Fowler said:
# >>
# >> You're right, now that I look at it.  I guess he didn't understand the
# >> email he responded to (or he was just restating the desire to have the
# >> functionality).
> #
> # Oops, I did misunderstand.  I saw "--update-dist" in the request and
> # immediately thought of the dist-upgrade option on apt-get, and then
> # described the functionality of the apt-get software.
> #
> # Which is fortunate, for I think my misunderstood request is pretty useful
> # too.
> #

> Agreed.  And now it's implemented. :)

Small error: the latest version of a gem is installed several times,
according to the number of higher versions of it there are.  I'll fix
it at work today.

I'm just wondering about the method name: --update-all or
--upgrade-all would be a better match in my mind.  --upgrade-dist
sounds like downloading and installing the latest RubyGems.

Also, it appears in the --help-options output in the wrong place.
I'll get that today as well.