[Rubygems-developers] update-dist request from rubytalk

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Mon Jun 7 12:29:26 EDT 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

# On Tuesday, June 8, 2004, 2:07:33 AM, Jamis wrote:
#
# > Gavin Sinclair wrote:
#
# >> BTW I'd really like to see us stop doing so much with the 'gem'
# >> command.  Something like this (--update-dist) could go in a 'gemx'
# >> command (meaning 'gem extra features' or something).
#
# > Is it so bad to have all the features in one command? Personally, I'd
# > rather have one uber-command, than several "lighter" commands that I had
# > to remember.
#
# Well, I'd stop at two.
#
# > It's nicer just to say "gem --help" and see all the things
# > I can do, than to have to say:
#
# >    $ gem --help
# >    ...
# >    $ # hmmm, nothing there, maybe...
# >    $ gemx --help
# >    ...
# >    $ # ah, yes, there it is
# >    $ gemx --update-dist
#
# > Know what I mean?
#
# Yep, but I'm thinking more like:
#
#   $ gem --help
#   ...
#   See also 'gemx' for Rubygems-related utilities.
#   $ # Ah, OK.
#   $ gemx --help
#   ...
#   $ # Sweet.  That command looks so cool.  What a wicked program this is.
#   $ gemx --update-dist
#   $ # Man, that was sooooo easy :)
#
# There are several other things that could be added to 'gemx'.  The
# documentation for 'gem' is already pretty long.  At least it is
# limited in scope.  If the scope becomes unlimited, then it becomes
# hard to document everything, and hard for a user to remember
# everything.
#

I understand your point but really don't agree with the idea of having a
separate command.  If anything, I would be in favor of doing the
svn/cvs/apt-style:

gem install --help
gem upgrade --help

...kind of thing.  But, I really don't see there being a huge problem now.
We should be discriminating about what gets added as commands (and as
options in the gemspec, which is why I have been holding off on
implementing things like development status).

If there are tangential features that work with the rubygems repository, I
think they should go in separate commands.  For example, it would be
possible to do:

gem --server

But, it just makes more sense to put something so different into a
separate script.

BTW, gem --upgrade-dist works now.  And, I fixed a bug it uncovered along
the way.

David H. H. is going to release an instiki gem as soon as 0.6.0 comes out.
I made the --install-stub option default to on again as a result of a
request I got from him and others.  I'm thinking about doing a
ridiculously soon 0.6.0 release to support his desire to make instiki
available in the near-term.  Possibly tomorrow morning?

If anyone wants to pick a feature off the TODO list and jam it in
before tomorrow, that would be fantastic.

Chad