[Rubygems-developers] update-dist request from rubytalk

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Mon Jun 7 12:13:19 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, June 8, 2004, 2:07:33 AM, Jamis wrote:

> Gavin Sinclair wrote:

>> BTW I'd really like to see us stop doing so much with the 'gem'
>> command.  Something like this (--update-dist) could go in a 'gemx'
>> command (meaning 'gem extra features' or something).

> Is it so bad to have all the features in one command? Personally, I'd
> rather have one uber-command, than several "lighter" commands that I had
> to remember.

Well, I'd stop at two.

> It's nicer just to say "gem --help" and see all the things
> I can do, than to have to say:

>    $ gem --help
>    $ # hmmm, nothing there, maybe...
>    $ gemx --help
>    $ # ah, yes, there it is
>    $ gemx --update-dist

> Know what I mean?

Yep, but I'm thinking more like:

  $ gem --help
  See also 'gemx' for Rubygems-related utilities.
  $ # Ah, OK.
  $ gemx --help
  $ # Sweet.  That command looks so cool.  What a wicked program this is.
  $ gemx --update-dist
  $ # Man, that was sooooo easy :)

There are several other things that could be added to 'gemx'.  The
documentation for 'gem' is already pretty long.  At least it is
limited in scope.  If the scope becomes unlimited, then it becomes
hard to document everything, and hard for a user to remember