[Rubygems-developers] update-dist request from rubytalk
gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Mon Jun 7 11:59:50 EDT 2004
On Tuesday, June 8, 2004, 1:48:08 AM, Richard wrote:
> I agree with Gavin's interpretation. Its because we are updating RubyGems
> often (good practice) that I think prompted the request.
So how would one go about implementing this?
* Each release, place files RUBYGEMS_VERSION and rubygems.tgz at the
* On 'gem --update-dist' do:
* Download file RUBYGEMS_VERSION and compare its contents with the
current version number. Exit if equal.
* Download file rubygems.tar.gz to a temporary directory.
* Unpack it and change directory. (Is this possible with
'require "zlib"'? I forget.)
* Run 'ruby install.rb'.
What about root permissions? Just assume the user has already given
Any other ideas?
BTW I'd really like to see us stop doing so much with the 'gem'
command. Something like this (--update-dist) could go in a 'gemx'
command (meaning 'gem extra features' or something).
More information about the Rubygems-developers