[Rubygems-developers] update-dist request from rubytalk

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Mon Jun 7 11:59:50 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, June 8, 2004, 1:48:08 AM, Richard wrote:

> I agree with Gavin's interpretation.  Its because we are updating RubyGems
> often (good practice) that I think prompted the request.

So how would one go about implementing this?

  * Each release, place files RUBYGEMS_VERSION and rubygems.tgz at the
  directory http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/release.

  * On 'gem --update-dist' do:

    * Download file RUBYGEMS_VERSION and compare its contents with the
      current version number.  Exit if equal.

    * Download file rubygems.tar.gz to a temporary directory.

    * Unpack it and change directory.  (Is this possible with
      'require "zlib"'?  I forget.)

    * Run 'ruby install.rb'.

What about root permissions?  Just assume the user has already given
themself permission?

Any other ideas?

BTW I'd really like to see us stop doing so much with the 'gem'
command.  Something like this (--update-dist) could go in a 'gemx'
command (meaning 'gem extra features' or something).