[Rubygems-developers] Using own stub code

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Sat Jun 5 08:50:54 EDT 2004

On Friday, June 4, 2004, 8:41:01 AM, Chad wrote:

> You should be able to have it do this if you specify DBD/Pg/Pg.rb as
> the autorequire file.  Then you need to --install-stub during
> installation of the dependencies.  We need to sort this whole thing
> out.  The "purist" approach (from a RubyGems perspective) would be to
> modify DBI to require_gem, but I know that won't be preferable to many
> people (unless RubyGems is included with Ruby).

I think it's a matter of evolution.  Any individual can happily write
their own applications for home or work using "pure" RubyGems.  But
it's not that easy when distributing a library - or at least it's not
perceived to be.

With ActiveRecord, for instance, DHH recommends installation via the
gem, and with the --install-stub option.  I think that's quite

Over time, the balance will change.