[Rubygems-developers] Stability/Maturity attribute

Eivind Eklund eivind at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 3 09:56:13 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 02:56:58PM +0200, Michael Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
> Wouldn't it be nice to document inside a gemspec how stable/mature the
> software is? This way, the user does not have to search inside the
> documentation, on the rubyforge site, or on RAA to find this
> information.

I think this sounds good.  However, in order for it to be really useful,
there should probably be a general description of what is meant by
different stability/maturity clauses.

If nobody beat me to it, I'll try to write up a suggestion set for
these.  I'll try to write it so it is easy to categorize your software
into the different "levels", and so RPA can more or less just say "We'll
enforce[1] stability level X" and have one aspect of policy in place
(both to save on my own work, and to make the mapping between RPA and
RubyGems clear to people that use both.)

Sounds good to everybody?

In passing: It might also be a good idea to have a 'Maintainer activity'
knob - I, for instance, know that I go back and forth with how much time
and energy I've got available, and would have to place 'Variable' in
such a field.

[1] RPA will enforce stability/maturity guarantees by writing
    compatibility layers, adding unit and functional tests, etc, and
    re-releasing sets of packages that work together.