[Rubygems-developers] New Gem format?

Mauricio Fernández batsman.geo at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 12:30:45 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 04:12:28PM +0200, Michael Neumann wrote:
> >As for constructing the install.rb from the gemspec, it doesn't make
> >sense if the resulting installer is going to depend on RubyGems and just
>
> No, why would the installer be dependent on RubyGems? I'd just lookup
> the files that should go into the tar.gz file (in my case they are the
> same as in the gem), and create a install.rb file for it.

But would that install.rb just unpack into a sort of gemdir or work like
for instance Minero Aoki's setup.rb? In the 2nd case, that imposes a
standard directory layout (not that it's wrong, but at that point you
can just use setup.rb :), since RubyGems doesn't know much about the
files in the gem (docs vs libs vs data etc).

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com