[Rubygems-developers] New Gem format?

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Wed Jul 28 05:18:12 EDT 2004

Hi,

Are there any news on this? Last night, I wrote a simple script that can
create tar files (and cpio) in pure Ruby. It would be simple to create
tar.gz, just feed it though Zlib. I could hack together a simple tar
reader in a few minutes (to hours ;-)

It would be nice to be able to release one file, which serves both as a
gem and as a tar.gz. So, you have your "gem build" command, upload the
resulting file, and that's it. Except that people will not recognize a
.gem file as a .tar.gz file, and it's not nice to upload two identical
files to rubyforge.org, which only differ in it's ending.

BTW, it would be nice, if rubygems would be able to construct a
"install.rb" file from the gemspec. Shoulndn't be too hard. This way it
would be very simple to distribute a package as both a gem and a tar.gz ;-)

Thoughts?

Regards,

   Michael