[Rubygems-developers] Gem-Spec Meta Information

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Mon Jul 26 23:36:06 EDT 2004

Mehr, Assaph wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > This is a fantastic idea, and is much-needed to enable the mass
> distribution
> > of ruby applications. Also, the 1.8.2 Ruby Installer for Windows is
> going to
> > include RubyGems and a GUI interface to RubyGems, but Ruby 1.8.2
> itself will
> > not include RubyGems.
> Glad to hear you like it.
> What is the GUI interface? Do you have a preview of the source code?

Rich and Chad are working on it (probably as we speak... er... write).

> > I would suggest creating an app-install-builder that
> > gathers all of the needed files...

> This may make sense to very big apps, but for my purposes keeping a
> tighter link
> with the ruby runtime is OK.

I think your approach is just fine for your objectives.

My comments come from my personal perspective of wanting to create and
distribute apps for "the masses" -- non-technical users who would know a
ruby-gem from a diamond... :-)