[Rubygems-developers] Should I include RubyGems in the next RubyInstaller for Windows

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Wed Jul 21 22:46:42 EDT 2004

Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 6:30:30 AM, Curt wrote:
>
> > As soon as Mats releases 1.8.2, I'm going to be releasing a
> updated version
> > of the Ruby Installer for Windows. I would like to include RubyGems
> > pre-installed in this upcoming release, but I have a couple questions:
>
> > 1) Is RubyGems ready for this? For example, is the gem format
> stable enough?
>
> That's something we'd all need to discuss in more detail.  I reckon
> it's stable enough.  The question is one of expectations.

My inclination is to include RubyGems in the Ruby Installer unless there is
a good reason not to.

[snip]

> I think we should put some effort into auto-upgrading
> RubyGems as well.  It certainly gets requested a lot.  That would only
> increase.  I'd certainly like everybody to be running the latest
> version all the time.
>
> Any lurkers want to look into auto-upgrading?

It would be nice to have auto-upgrading in before a mass distribution
through the Ruby Installer takes place. But that's probably not something
that would be ready in next week or so.

Even without that I'm still incline to include RubyGems -- it just makes it
soooo easy for users to install extensions. And a larger RubyGems installed
base might encourage more package author's to release in RubyGem format.

Curt