[Rubygems-developers] Should I include RubyGems in the next Ruby Installer for Windows

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Tue Jul 20 23:15:02 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 6:30:30 AM, Curt wrote:

> As soon as Mats releases 1.8.2, I'm going to be releasing a updated version
> of the Ruby Installer for Windows. I would like to include RubyGems
> pre-installed in this upcoming release, but I have a couple questions:

> 1) Is RubyGems ready for this? For example, is the gem format stable enough?

That's something we'd all need to discuss in more detail.  I reckon
it's stable enough.  The question is one of expectations.

> 2) Since the windows installer essentially copies a predefined directory
> tree somewhere on the user's machine, are there any other things that I need
> to do ensure that RubyGems is properly installed? Set any environment vars?
> Run a config script? Create a config file?

You just need to install RubyGems (i.e. ruby install.rb).  No
variables or config files necessary.  For a single-user Windows
system, there's no need to create additional gems directories.
Frankly, the less people do that, the better.

> The download stats for the Ruby Installer show a increasing interest in Ruby
> on Windows, so I think it would be a big advantage to get a pre-installed
> RubyGems on every Windows desktop.

Definitely.  I think we should put some effort into auto-upgrading
RubyGems as well.  It certainly gets requested a lot.  That would only
increase.  I'd certainly like everybody to be running the latest
version all the time.

Any lurkers want to look into auto-upgrading?