[Rubygems-developers] [Fwd: Re: R: rubygems undefined method'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass]

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Wed Jul 14 10:50:19 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Richard Kilmer wrote:

#
#
#
# On 7/14/04 10:32 AM, "Chad Fowler" <chad at chadfowler.com> wrote:
#
# > #
# > # One question ... Why are the gemspecs in the specification directory
# > # stored as ruby source.  I would have thought that YAML would be a more
# > # appropriate choice in this area.  Is it worth changing?
# > #
# >
# > I think so, too.  I'm not sure why they're stored as Ruby source, but I
# > think it would actually simplify the code a bit if they weren't.  Anyone
# > else have an opinion?  Otherwise, I think it's worth changing.
#
# They are stored as Ruby source so that a runtime user of RubyGems does not
# need to load YAML in order to use libraries.  If they are YAML, you have to
# load it and the native SYCK parser.  That is a lot to ask of someone who
# just wants to load libraries...that is the thinking anyway.
#

Oh yea...I remember now. :)  That sounds like a pretty good reason to me.