[Rubygems-developers] [Fwd: Re: R: rubygems undefined method'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass]

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Wed Jul 14 10:32:10 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Jim Weirich wrote:

# Chad Fowler said:
# >
# > That was definitely a weird one.  Did you ever have him try the alien
# > command?  I definitely want to do more work on the diagnostic stuff with
# > RubyGems.  Alien, for example, is pretty stupid about gems that are
# > compiled from source right now.
# All gem commands were failing because one of the gemspec files were
# corrupted (failing with a NoMethodError on a nil object).

Oh right :)

# One question ... Why are the gemspecs in the specification directory
# stored as ruby source.  I would have thought that YAML would be a more
# appropriate choice in this area.  Is it worth changing?

I think so, too.  I'm not sure why they're stored as Ruby source, but I
think it would actually simplify the code a bit if they weren't.  Anyone
else have an opinion?  Otherwise, I think it's worth changing.

# > Has anyone tried running unit tests with 0.7.0 (the -t option on gem
# > installation)?  I can't seem to find any that it thinks have test suites.
# > I'm wondering if it's just a problem with my potentially screwed up
# > RubyGems installation or if we have a real bug.
# I've not played with the unit test option.

I'll try to figure it out tonight if I have time.