[Rubygems-developers] Quick feature request: cd to directory of a gem

Richard Kilmer rich at infoether.com
Tue Jul 13 11:50:26 EDT 2004

On 7/13/04 11:25 AM, "Mauricio Fernández" <batsman.geo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Isn't the very point of this being able to take a look at the sources
> before installing? That's how I implemented it.

I think it less interesting to look at the source prior to install, then
looking at the source once installed (as Gavin did).  I mean, I rarely look
though the source of, say, SOAP4R unless I need to...and if I do, it would
certainly be nice to do it.  Remember, RubyGems keeps all the installed
libraries separate so there is no chance of overwriting or causing behavior
that is not reversible.  So, installing first, then unpacking for inspection
is fine from a protection point of view because you can always review it
(now with unpack) and uninstall it if you want (but I believe this will be
the rarer case).

-rich