[Rubygems-developers] Quick feature request: cd to directory of a gem

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Tue Jul 13 09:56:21 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 11:00:49 PM, Chad wrote:

> #
> # Thoughts?  I *really* like it.
> #

> Seems OK to me.  The only half-criticism I have is that this is the kind
> of feature that I feel is only appropriate for gem *files*--not
> already-installed gems.  Seems like in this case you're support
> already-installed gems, which would just be a recursive copy, I guess?

Actually, it unpacks the gem from the 'cache' directory.

I don't see what use such a feature is with gem files; simplistically
speaking, I want nothing to do with gem files.  Every single gem I've
installed in the last few months, I install remotely.  I'm addicted.
It's got to the point where I practically will not install something
unless it's a gem, because tarballs seem like too much hassle :) [1]

OTOH, I really want the unpack feature so I can take a look inside.

The logical conclusion is to support the unpacking of installed gems.

It would be easy to allow unpacking of remote gems, but that's not
scratching my itch.  I've got nothing must against it, but I'd rather
wait for comments.

[1] Ruby/DICT is a case in point: I hate living without the 'rdict'
command, but it's not available as a gem, so I don't have it at work.
On that matter, what do you think about submitting gems on behalf of
other people?  I'd happily create a Ruby/DICT gem and email it to you
for remote distribution.  I've already goaded the author, gemspec in
hand, hoping he'd do it, but...