[Rubygems-developers] Quick feature request: cd to directory of a gem

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Tue Jul 13 09:00:49 EDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

# On Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 8:47:14 PM, Chad wrote:
#
# > Regarding your unpack idea, Gavin, perhaps you could wait until we're
# > doing .tar.gz and just use your operating system's native .tar.gz
# > unpacking mechanism?  The exact reason that you want this feature is
# > what led me to repropose Mauricio's format-change suggestion.
#
# Sorry dude; just added it.  The format of the gem is irrelevant to the
# feature.  I'd rather not deal with gem files directly, no matter how
# they're represented.
#
#   $ gem unpack rake
#   Unpacked gem: 'rake-0.4.3'
#
#   $ gem unpack rake -v '< 0.4'
#   Unpacked gem: 'rake-0.3.1'
#
#   $ gem unpack rak
#   ERROR:  Gem 'rak' not installed.
#
#   $ ls -l
#   drwxr-xr-x+   6 Gavin Si None            0 Jul 13 22:02 rake-0.3.1
#   drwxr-xr-x+   6 Gavin Si None            0 Jul 13 22:02 rake-0.4.3
#
#   $ gem help unpack
#   Usage: gem unpack GEMNAME [options]
#
#       -v, --version VERSION            Specify version of gem to unpack
#
#     Common Options:
#       -p, --[no-]http-proxy [URL]      Use HTTP proxy for remote operations
#       -h, --help                       Get help on this command
#           --config-file FILE           Use this config file instead of default
#           --backtrace                  Show stack backtrace on errors
#
#     Arguments:
#       GEMNAME       Name of the gem to unpack
#
#     Summary:
#       Unpack an installed gem to the current directory
#
#     Defaults:
#       --version '> 0'
#
#
# Thoughts?  I *really* like it.
#

Seems OK to me.  The only half-criticism I have is that this is the kind
of feature that I feel is only appropriate for gem *files*--not
already-installed gems.  Seems like in this case you're support
already-installed gems, which would just be a recursive copy, I guess?

Chad