[Rubygems-developers] Quick feature request: cd to directory of a gem

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Tue Jul 13 06:47:14 EDT 2004

On Jul 13, 2004, at 6:29 AM, Michael Neumann wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 06:27:57PM +1000, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>> Folks,
>> Context: I want to check out Net::SSH - the code, that is.  So I
>> install the gem; now what?
>> I want to go
>>   gem cd net-ssh
>> and have a shell prompt open in
>> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/net-ssh
>> so I can poke around.
>> Is this a cool feature or not?  And how could it be implemented?
>> Maybe I've missed something simple, but I tried a while ago with no
>> success.  Obviously one needs to be mindful of people's different
>> shells as well.
> I think it's not possible this way, but if "gem cd net-ssh" would print
> "cd pathname" to stdout, you could simply write:
>   `gem cd net-ssh`
> For me it would suffice if there would be a "gem dir net-ssh" command
> that outputs just the pathname. But not sure if it's worth.

I agree with Michael on this one.  cd `gem dir net-ssh` would probably
be the best way to implement it.  But I'm not sure it's worth it.

Regarding your unpack idea, Gavin, perhaps you could wait until we're
doing .tar.gz and just use your operating system's native .tar.gz
unpacking mechanism?  The exact reason that you want this feature is
what led me to repropose Mauricio's format-change suggestion.