[Rubygems-developers] gem format

Mauricio Fernández batsman.geo at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 05:28:25 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 04:32:16PM -0400, Chad Fowler wrote:
>   There are obvious advantages to using tar/gzip, including the fact that
> many tools already support it.  I think it would be especially nice for
> browsing the contents of a gem before installing it.

Another advantage is that when you have package signatures, it makes
sense to check them unconditionally before running any code from the
gem. Additionally, the gem requires RubyGems to be installed anyway
(it's not fully self-contained), so I cannot see why

  ruby stuff.gem

would be better than

  gem install stuff.gem

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

Linux: Where Don't We Want To Go Today?
	-- Submitted by Pancrazio De Mauro, paraphrasing some well-known sales talk