[Rubygems-developers] Quick feature request: cd to directory of a gem

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Tue Jul 13 04:27:57 EDT 2004

Context: I want to check out Net::SSH - the code, that is.  So I
install the gem; now what?

I want to go

  gem cd net-ssh

and have a shell prompt open in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/net-ssh
so I can poke around.

Is this a cool feature or not?  And how could it be implemented?
Maybe I've missed something simple, but I tried a while ago with no
success.  Obviously one needs to be mindful of people's different
shells as well.

A different approach might be this:

  $ cd /tmp
  $ gem unpack net-ssh
  $ cd net-ssh-0.0.3
  ... now poke around ...

Man, that'd be cooool, and easy to implement.  And then you're poking
around in a copy, so you can't muck up the gem directory.  I think
that's the way to go.

Brainstorm over.