[Rubygems-developers] Re: CVS Problem on RubyForge

Tom Copeland tom at infoether.com
Fri Jul 9 10:47:50 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 10:32, Jim Weirich wrote:
> cvs [commit aborted]: could not open lock file
> `/var/cvs/rubygems/rubygems/test/mock/gems/specifications/,sources-0.0.1.gemspec,':
> Permission denied

Hmmmm.  Hmmmm.  Something else must be wrong.... but what?  The
CVSROOT/config file is pointing to the same place as all the other
projects... nothing new there.  The repository directory looks fine:

[tom at rubyforge tmp]$ ls -al
total 12
drwxr-sr-x    2 chadfowler rubygems     4096 Jun  8 20:50 .
drwxrwsr-x    6 chadfowler rubygems     4096 Apr 13 00:13 ..
-r--r--r--    1 chadfowler rubygems      553 Jun  8 20:50
[tom at rubyforge tmp]$

> I'm googling the problem but haven't found anything particularly
> helpful.  One case recommended bouncing the CVS server (which might be
> holding lock files),

Yup, the lock directory for that CVS directory is empty:

[tom at rubyforge tmp]$ ls -al
total 8
drwxrwxrwx    2 jimweirich users        4096 Jul  9 10:40 .
drwxrwxrwx    6 jimweirich users        4096 Jul  9 10:40 ..
[tom at rubyforge tmp]$

> but I'm assuming rubyforge uses cvs from inetd and
> only starts a cvs server on demand.

Since you're a member of the RubyGems group, your CVS commands are
tunneled over SSH, so it's as if you were running the commands on the
server itself.  But yup, anonymous CVS checkouts are done via an xinetd