[Rubygems-developers] My weekend work

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Sun Jul 4 20:22:14 EDT 2004

On Monday, July 5, 2004, 7:22:15 AM, Jim wrote:

>> * Made 'list' and 'search' full-blooded commands. [2]

> I'm a bit concerned that with list/search/query it is hard to
> know/remember the subtle differences between them.  I like the
> functionality, but we might want to think about the command structure.

It's a fair concern.  The way I see it is that 'list' and 'search' are
simple utility commands that meet the common cases, whereas 'query' is
(potentially) a more powerful search utility.  Here are some
interesting (potential) uses for 'query':

  gem query --author Jim
  gem query --executable     # Which gems have a command in them?
  gem query --contains-file README
  gem query --date '> 2004-06-01'

I'm not rushing to implement any of these, but that is what 'query'
suggests to me.