[Rubygems-developers] My weekend work
gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Sun Jul 4 09:59:52 EDT 2004
Here's the changes I've made, in line with my message to the list
("Suggestions regarding the new CLI") on 20 June.
* Improved (subjective, of course) the general 'help' message.
* Improved the output of 'gem help COMMAND'.
* Explicitly handle 'gem -h/--help' and 'gem -v/--version'.
* No longer allow 'gem --commands' and 'gem --examples'. 
* Consolidated boolean commands with their negatives, e.g. --test and
--no-test become --[no-]test.
* Refactored the options that 'install' and 'update' have in common.
* Renamed --gen-rdoc to --rdoc.
* Made 'list' and 'search' full-blooded commands. 
* Fixed typo in 'gem help uninstall'.
* Updated the examples to match my changes.
 I kind of like these commands, but dislike the proliferation of
ways of accessing help. Comments sought.
 e.g. 'gem list d' for all gems beginning with 'd', and
'gems search log' for all gem names containing 'log'.
NOTE! One unit test is failing because of my changes. I don't know
how to change that test appropriately.
The problem is this: the test case expects a specific error to be
raised when a bad argument is given (--bad-arg), but I've used
'alert_error' instead of raising something explicitly. If the
Wimbledon men's final weren't on, I'd take a closer look.
OK, I'll update the Wiki documentation -- hopefully tomorrow.
More information about the Rubygems-developers